User Guide: Playbook MDM
Playbook MDM Overview
The BlueFletch Playbook MDM, designed for rugged Android devices, provides the ability to manage, configure, and update fleets of devices.
Playbook MDM consists of Deployment Groups, Playbooks, and Plays.
Plays represent the single unit of work that will occur on a device, such as download a file or install an application.
Playbook represents a group of Plays. The Playbook Agent will use the Playbook to keep a device compliant.
Deployment Groups are used to assign a Playbook to a group of devices. A Deployment Group could represent a region or a single store.
A Playbook is made of a group of plays and assigned deployment groups.
To view the plays associated with a playbook select PLAYS in the card.
To view the deployments groups associated with a playbook select DEPLOYMENT GROUPS in the card.
Create New Playbook
- Select the NEW PLAYBOOK button
- Enter the Playbook name
- Select the Deployment Group
- Assign Plays
Once the setup is completed, select SAVE.
Note : If the Playbook is ready to deploy to the devices in the Deployment Group, select DEPLOY from this page.
The new playbook should display in the playbook list:
Edit a Playbook by selecting the edit icon on a playbook in the list to see the edit page.
A Playbook is made up of a series of Plays. Each Play in a Playbook can involve a number of actions. Example Plays Include :
- Installing Applications
- Downloading Files
- Deleting Files
- Resetting a Device
- Manipulating Configurations
Add a New Play
- To add a new play select NEW PLAY.
- Enter a Play name.
- Depending on what type of action is selected, different options become available.
3a. There are options available to force an install, run an intent on install, and reboot after install. Once these options are selected and information has been entered, select SAVE to create the new play
- Edit a Play by selecting the edit icon on a play in the list to see the edit page.
From the Devices Tab, view, assign, or remove a device from a Deployment Group(s)
- The user can verify device data such as the device ID, the device model, the assigned deployment group, the last time the device synced,
- Select the device ID link
2a. This takes the user to a page specific to that device to view plays and device information.
- Whether or not the device is compliant is shown by indicators to the left of the device ID. A check mark represents compliant(shown below), and a red x represents non-compliant.
- The device's store location, the device IP address, and the last logged in user are also displayed in the grid.
Search for Devices
The user can search devices in the grid by using the search bar.
The user can search by term using the following fields by typing into the search bar:
- deviceId - the device's numerical ID
- user - the logged in user's userID
- site - the device location
- ip - the device IP address
- tel - the device telephone number
- name - the device user's name
Best Practices To search for a specific site, for example site 1001, type "site:1001" into the search field, then click enter on the keyboard.
- Select the arrow menu
- Now select the Compliance options to filter, and select APPLY FILTERS
- The filters will be applied to the list and will display accordingly.
Change Deployment Groups
- The user also has the ability to change the assigned Deployment Group of a device in the list by first selecting a device to activate the CHANGE DEPLOYMENT GROUP button. Select the button.
- Select the button and be prompted to Select New Deployment Group from the dropdown.
- Select a new group from the list.
- Once a selection has been made select APPLY NOW.
- Then the updated deployment group will be listed in the device list for that device.
Remove Deployment Groups
- The user also has the ability to remove the assigned Deployment Group of a device in the list by first selecting a device to activate the REMOVE DEPLOYMENT GROUPS button. Select the button.
- Then be prompted a confirmation message. Select APPLY NOW to remove the group.
- Once the changes have applied, the device will have an Unassigned Deployment Group value.
- The user also has the ability to delete the device from the list by first selecting a device to active the DELETE button. Select the button.
- The user will be prompted a confirmation messages to delete the selected device.
- Once changes have applied, the device will be removed from the list.
A Deployment Group is a user-defined logical collection of devices. Each deployment group can be assigned to a Playbook, and all registered devices under the deployment group will run the assigned Playbook.
Register the Device into a Deployment Group
1. From the Deployment Group page select the SHOW BARCODE link in Deployment Group box.
2. A QR code will display, that can be scanned to register devices.
Note : View the Deployment Group's device UUID by selecting the SHOW DEVICES link.
3. To register a device within the Deployment Group scan the QR Code with the Enterprise Installer application.
Create Deployment Groups
- Select the NEW GROUP button
- Enter the Name and Version
- Select the Playbook
- Add Devices Note : Only one device can be added at a time.
- Save the New Deployment Group
- The New Deployment Group will be displayed in the Deployment Group List.
- Edit a Deployment Group by selecting the edit icon on a Deployment Group in the list to see the edit page.